Think of wellness and good physical and mental health may come to mind. However, that is not all. Total wellness means overall well-being, which also includes equipping yourself with knowledge and building meaningful social connections to support you at every point in life.
Wellness is not a destination. Wellness is a journey.
Understanding the Four Dimensions of Wellness
Here at Raffles Wellness, we believe wellness can only be complete when the following are in place – physical wellness, mental wellness, social wellness, and intellectual wellness.
Physical wellness is all about recognising the need for physical activity and adopting healthy eating and sleeping habits, to prevent illness and injury.
Social wellness is all about building meaningful relationships and developing a sense of belonging and connection.
Mental wellness is all about mental health. It is about how you handle life’s stresses, manage your emotions and behaviours, and build resiliency.
Intellectual wellness is all about personal growth. This means pursuing new learning opportunities and gaining new knowledge and skillsets.
How to Achieve Wellness in Your Life
The four dimensions of wellness play a pivotal role in determining our overall well-being. By making simple decisions such as taking the stairs instead of the lift, or taking time to pursue your hobbies, one can enjoy the powerful effects physically and emotionally.
The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” This means that we should check off boxes in the four dimensions in order to truly enjoy good health and wellness.
Here are some examples on goals you could set as you embark on your wellness journey:
- Develop well-balanced and healthy eating habits
- Perform at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise a week
- Make informed choices about your health
- Seek medical care when needed
- Identify stresses in your life and learn how to overcome them
- Develop the ability to experience, identify and express emotions such as joy, fear, anger, frustration, sadness, and more
- Practice mindfulness
- Develop the ability to create and maintain close relationships
- Develop consciousness as to how to manage relationships with diverse individuals
- Enjoy a well-developed support system
- Be open to new experiences and ideas in all aspects of life
- Keep abreast with global news and issues
- Be a living example of life-long learning
Getting Started on Your Wellness Journey
While achieving all of your wellness goals may seem daunting or even feel like a distant concept, it is definitely achievable. Set your goals and work towards them slowly but surely.
Take your first step towards wellness. Let us support you on your journey.